TV Ratings

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by Rids, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Rids

Rids Member

Was thinking about this here this morning and it kinda puts the great TV ratings into a perspective a little...every game averages 750,000 to 800,000 viewers so statistically speaking there are likely 500,000 that watch at least 3 games a week and then a 250,000 bump that watch "their" team.

When you tie in the attendance woes that teams have seen this year perhaps that's the underlying truth. There are about a million actual CFL fans, another 5 million individuals with a passing knowledge that will tune into the Grey Cup and another 28 million Canadians that are mostly untouched.

Tags:
  2. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I think a couple of factors play into the attendance. One, most stadiums in the CFL are old. When fans tune into the NFL there is the WOW Factor... I mean, look at last night with the stadium in Arizona. There is nothing like that in Canada. We get to sit in 50 to 80 year old stadiums with very few fan comforts. All the while being told that we'll never get new stadiums in our lifetime. The only way CFL teams get new places to play are if their city hosts some kind of international sporting event or a team like Winnipeg goes into tens of millions of dollars of debt thereby crippling its ability to put a quality product on the field.
    We have the fact that stadiums being built down east are 22-24,000 seats. Winnipeg thankfully has 33,000 seats but truthfully it still is a small stadium. So, there's no feeling of the CFL being anywhere close to being a major league.
    Then there are ticket prices. Way overpriced for the entertainment value. Considering the fact that the CFL teams get money from TSN & they have a 4 million dollar salary cap why do prime tickets have to be so expensive? The CFL always prided itself on being family entertainment. Most families can't afford it. Even Safeway tickets in Calgary are $19.99. A couple of years ago they were $9.99.

3. Rids

Rids Member

So how do you reach the other 28 million?? How do we put the CFL in front of them because we know that the product sells, especially the number of late game heroics.

4. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't think you can or ever will.

I was watching the als-esks game in the early afternoon in a restaurant with others who I was in a seminar with. Were any of them interested? No. Could I get them interested? Not a chance.

Five million is probably all you're going to ever get. It's either in you or it isn't. The other 28 million just aren't interested now matter how much you try. In my case not having a team in Montreal turned me off at one point.

and none of that 'I've never heard of it' crap excuse.

5. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Again, comes down to perception. The CFL even though we love it, is minor league. You can watch the best players play in the NFL with their super new 70 & 80,000 seat stadiums with all kinds of television angles, close ups & professional; commentary. There are fantasy league as well as Vegas wagering. There's nothing like that in Canada. Or you can watch the CFL on TSN with the small, old, rickety 60 year old stadiums, half to 3/4 full with 25,000 fannies in the seats with half the camera angles of an NFL broadcast with Rod Black doing the play by play. The CFL isn't growing because as far as facilities go it's still stuck in the 70's...
    Now, with new stadiums in Winnipeg & Hamilton coming on stream as well as Regina in about 5 years, plus the major reno of Frank Clair Stadium maybe that perception will change BUT... again... the stadiums only hold 22-33,000 seats. And as far as tv goes, TSN has no competition so we are stuck with cheap on field production & brutal announcers like Black. Not much there to like either, except for the panel.
    If it was me, I'd have Schultz & Dunigan in the booth & move Suitor & Ford to the studio. Look at using Milt & Doug Brown more in studio as well. Schultz's knowledge of the game & his cool demeanor as well as the passion of Dunigan would compliment the game broadcast itself. Two completely different styles that would really enhance the colour commenttary. Love to also see Gord Miller in the booth as a regular announcer as well but we know he is just doing it now temporarily as the NHL lockout continues. Pity.

6. Rids

Rids Member

So why aren't fans celebrating the global prospects of the Grey Cup halftime show? Why aren't they happy that booked are 2 of the world's biggest acts currently + 1 of Canada's acts with a very bright future and a Canadian legend?

Seems like people would prefer if the CFL had booked Casey and Finnegan from Mr. Dressup to be the halftime show so they could whine and complain about how second rate and mickey mouse they are.

7. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

Pff.....Casey and Finnegan. Now if they had Rocket Robin Hood...... :D

8. iso_55

iso_55 Member

People like to complain, Rids... Not everybody is satisfied. If this was 1964 & the CFL booked The Beatles, there'd be fans complaining that they should have booked The Dave Clark Five.