UFC 149

Discussion in 'SF Lounge' started by Rids, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Rids

Rids Member

So apparently the crowd got a little restless during the UFC 149 bouts at Saddledome and were chanting for refunds among other things. Also heard that a fight in the stands drew more attention than the main event.

The event netted $4.1 million at the gate with the over inflated ticket prices (Over $700 to sit down low). Dana White was excited about that especially since the undercard fighters are getting between $4,000 and $12,000 each. And here you are thinking CFL players are underpaid.

I don't get the appeal of UFC especially in the new world of weight classes and rules. When it was first marketed as what style is the best fighting style things were interesting and really the only thing they have over boxing is that the fighters are so poorly paid that they are willing to jump in a ring/octagon multiple times a year. The headliner of UFC 148 made about 3 times the money through a couple sponsors (including Burger King) than he did through his UFC payday.

Anyhow looking forward to seeing what the papers say about it tomorrow and if any SF members were there toss your thoughts in but don't try to "convert" me from boxing to MMA because it won't happen.

Tags:
  2. Liske

Liske Member

I wasn't there, as I don't follow UFC too closely. The only fighters on the (original) card I knew of were Jose Aldo, Thiago Silva and Michael Bisping.

I'd be pissed too if I had paid big money to watch certain matchups and they changed them. That's gotta burn.

If GSP ever came to town, I'd go. He is an amazing talent and physical specimen. But I don't think his next fight isn't until November in Montreal.

3. Bronko

Bronko Member

Dana White got away with an old Vince McMahon trick - put on a weak card of no-names and spares and still get a great crowd cuz its UFC in Calgary.

Won't get much next time (if there is a next time) unless they slot n monsters like Anderson Silva, Chael Sonnen, George St. Pierre, Brock Lesnar & the various guys who've killed Lesnar, etc.

4. Stamps Rule

Stamps Rule Member

Dana White is embarrassed.....and really pissed off....

[youtube]CarIrTxknhU[/youtube]

5. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Pretty refreshing for White to put the share of the blame on the referee. And admitting the card was very good.He didn't like the booing but he understands why.

6. Bronko

Bronko Member

Its only refreshing compared to WWE and Vince McMahon's antics. In WWE, every card is better than the last card and every PPV is best ever. If an announcer or even a performer is caught down-grading a PPV or even a TV showing that performer is either cut outright (low to mid-carders) or called on the carpet (upper card to superstar level)

But White downgrading his own product doesn't make it better, doesn't even make it good. It just means Dana doesn't have enough name brand top-carders to make every pit stop brilliant. Calgary got the worst of UFC, Dana knows it and admitted as such.

But I didn't notice him telling UFC Calgary fans where they could apply for refunds. Did you?

7. iso_55

iso_55 Member

He did say UFC is coming back. Sure, in 2030... ;)