Unique Off-season “training” Has Wilson Aiming For Big Things On Stamps O-line

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

7346942.jpg

Unique off-season “training” has Wilson aiming for big things on Stamps o-line
    Typical CFL down to earth attitude — Henry Wise Wood grad lugged bags for WestJet
    Vicki Hall, Calgaryherald.com

Over the winter, Spencer Wilson added a creative element to his off-season training regimen by way of a job at the Calgary International Airport.

“I worked for WestJet,” says the six-foot-seven, 325-pound behemoth. “I was tossing bags.”

He pauses.

“Hopefully, I didn’t lose anyone’s bag.”

As a member of the baggage turnaround crew, Wilson loaded suitcases on and off baggage carousels and airplanes in sunshine, snow and sleet.

Given his job description during the season, Wilson might have found the ideal way for a Canadian Football League offensive lineman to make some extra cash — and perhaps add muscle tone — over the long Calgary winter.

“There were a few bags,” he said with a smile “that are definitely on the heavy side.”

Now all grown up at age 25, the Henry Wise Wood Senior High School graduate is auditioning to protect the blind side of Drew Tate, Kevin Glenn and Bo Levi Mitchell.

Left tackle is one of the most crucial positions on the football field, so all eyes are on Wilson and former NFLer Dan Federkeil as they push for employment on the offensive line.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports...on+training+Spencer+Wilson/8479384/story.html