Upgrade Needed at Middle Linebacker?

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Seeker1, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Seeker1

Seeker1 Member

I don't know if it is the scheme the Stampeder defence is running, or if Juan Simpson has "lost it," somewhat, due to injuries, but it does appear that there is now a higher quality/more elite caliber of middle linebacker in the league than Mr Simpson?
    BC, Edmonton, Winnipeg's middle linebackers appear to be making more tackles/more plays than Simpson.

I can't recall any recent Stampeder games where Mr. Simpson really stood out as an elite defender?

Food for thought!

Tags:
  2. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

I think he's a good team guy, and a well-respected veteran on the defence, (unless my sources, who shall remain nameless, tell me otherwise ;)), but I'd agree that his game play certainly pales in comparison to that of the MLBs in other CFL centres.

But football being the relatively heartless and unforgiving business that it is, I'd be surprised to hear the Stampeders haven't actively looked to upgrade that position, as they appear to have done virtually everywhere else on the team.

If they have, at least thus far, they don't appear to have found anyone who's better....

TM

3. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Wow, your post worked - The Stamps have just signed import LB Akeem Davis.

4. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

I looked at the release you linked, Madman, but I didn't see a reference in it to MLB.

Maybe that's what he is though, since he apparently captained his college team at Memphis (and I think OLBs are only "first-mate" material). ;)

TM

5. Seeker1

Seeker1 Member

Indeed! The Calgary Stampeders announce that import running back/kick returner Denodus O'Bryant and import linebacker Akeem Davis have been added to the club's practice roster.

O'Bryant was signed as an undrafted free agent by the National Football League's Indianapolis Colts in 2013. He played four seasons at Lindenwood University in St. Charles, Mo., and is the school's all-time leader in rushing yards (3,237) and touchdowns (62 including 38 rushing, 15 receiving and nine on kick returns).

O'Bryant accumulated a total of 6,126 all-purpose yards during his career with the Lions and was a two-time National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics All-American, a three-time all-conference selection and a two-time conference MVP. As a senior in 2012, he rushed for 1,205 yards and 11 touchdowns and added 38 receptions for 537 yards and three scores. His first name is pronounced den-AW-diss.

Davis, who earlier this year attended rookie camp with the NFL's Seattle Seahawks, played three full seasons at the University of Memphis and was a two-time selection as a team captain. He played 34 games over three years with the Tigers and made 27 starts. Davis made 162 total tackles including 13 tackles for loss and also recorded 2.5 sacks, three interceptions, five forced fumbles, seven fumble recoveries and nine pass breakups. As a senior in 2012, he made 12 starts and had 68 tackles, including five tackles for loss, and 2.5 sacks.

Davis was a three-time member of the Conference USA Commissioner's honour roll. In 2008, he played eight games for Jones County Community College and recorded 22 tackles and one interception.
    [​IMG]
    He is too small to play middle linebacker, I believe. (6' 1" 200 lbs)

6. Seeker1

Seeker1 Member

Could be a nice signing, but a middle linebacker upgrade is needed, IMO.

7. CoachB57

CoachB57 Member

Simpson has probably lost a step, but hopefully he can regain some of that form down the stretch, until then Mayo needs to get more reps and be the beast that he was in the WSF and WF last year.

8. redwhite2005

redwhite2005 Member

Yes I hate being a bit critical based on one game play but Simpson has not played well in the last game. And over this season has not dominated. Maybe the coach has to bring in someone to either push him or replace him.

9. Seeker1

Seeker1 Member

Football is a heartless and unforgiving business! That said, Simpson has, IMO, not been a force as middle linebacker for a while, for the Stampeders. An upgrade at that position should be a priority.

10. Christoph

Christoph Member

I don't think this is a recent development. To my eyes Simpson has been pretty invisible for a few years now. He must be clinging onto his job for whatever intangibles he brings to the team, ie. leadership, because he's hardly been a tangible defensive force for quite some time now in my opinion. For me it goes all the way back to when we had that logjam of linebackers with Joe Lobendahn, and Robert McCune in the mix along with our current starting trio. Back then I wanted the team to keep McCune rather than Simpson but obviously they went the other way. I don't know that it was necessarily a mistake, but I do think that an upgrade may be coming sooner rather than later.

At one time I was almost certain Deron Mayo would be that guy...

11. Seeker1

Seeker1 Member

I concur with your overall comments Christoph. Deron Mayo appears to be a solid linebacker, but somewhat undersized, IMO, to play MLB on a regular basis. A player similar to, but somewhat larger than BC's Solomon Elimimian, (surprising listed at only 6.00 225 lbs?) would be a great addition to the Stampeders.

12. Barracuda

Barracuda Member

Isn't that what they just got? Gotta love a kid from Memphis.

13. Seeker1

Seeker1 Member

That "Memphis kid" (Akeem Davis) is quite undersized (around 200 lbs.) to play middle linebacker or are you referring to another Memphis kid?

Speaking of Davis, any news on how he has looked at practice?

14. Barracuda

Barracuda Member

Didn't somebody just mention that Solomon Elimimian is only a few pounds heavier (pre season weight...probably not playing weight by mid-season) and an inch shorter? I think it matters more about the play reading, foot speed and tackling than matching ideal height/weight to some chart hidden away.

15. Seeker1

Seeker1 Member

A few??? Solomon Elimimian is about 25 pounds heavier. It does make a difference, especially playing the middle linebacker position.

16. Barracuda

Barracuda Member

You're trusting a pre-season team supplied weight? Nobody that starts the year at 225 will still be 225 by the end of August.

Akeem Davis was 201 at his pro day in April (where he also ran a 4.37). He was likely told that he was too light to play in the NFL at that weight so I'm guessing that between Akeem's gain and Solomon's season that they're probably fairly close now.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profilexnews.php?pyid=106710&draftyear=2013&genpos=SS

Seems strange that they'd sign and then release the guy in a 24 hour period. Passport issue?