Video: The Leon McQuay Fumble

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by iso_55, May 10, 2012.

1. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Here is a great clip from the 1971 Grey Cup off of the CBC telecast. Don Chevrier doing the play by play. The Leon McQuay fumble.[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oiIASx7Cto[/video]

Tags:
  2. zBrain

zBrain Member

Interesting, was it actually a fumble?

3. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Well, Leo Cahill, who was the Argos' head coach sure didn't think so....;)

However, rather than a classic open-field fumble, it was more like the ball, in the rainy conditions at old Empire Stadium, slipped from his grasp when he slipped and hit the turf as Larry Robinson, Fred James and Frank Andruski were closing on him. But because he hadn't yet been touched by a Stampeders player before he went down, the play and the ball were ruled "live" with Calgary recovering the fumble and ultimately hanging on to win.

Despite the rationale, Cahill never saw it that way, and I'm sure will yet go to his grave believing he and his club were jobbed that November day so long ago now.

I, as a young Stampeders fan watching my team win its first championship during my lifetime, didn't see it his way then, and still don't...;)

TM

4. iso_55

iso_55 Member

In today's CFL & with Jake Ireland the replay official, that play may have been overturned as he fumbled when he hit the ground. Thing is, he was never touched as he slipped. So, does that change anything? To me, it's a fumble. He was never touched, slipped, fell & lost the football.

5. zBrain

zBrain Member

Another thing...imagine if we lost? Keeling would have been crucified for that int. Terrible throw.

6. Liske

Liske Member

Funny thing is, it was Keeling who made the TD saving tackle on Thornton's interception and run.