Wally & Geroy

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by iso_55, Jun 30, 2012.

1. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Anybody else catch the irony of Wally saying he hopes that Geroy still keeps on playing when he spoke publicly during the ceremony on the field at BC Place last night after Simon became the all time leading receiver in the CFL? Pretty touching words by Wally for sure.
    I remember how Wally treated Allen Pitts who was the all time leading receiver CFL receiver at the time back in 2001. How he unceremoniously cut Pitts after he refused to take a pay cut in the off season after he broke the same record himself. It was a cold & heartless thing to do to a proud man who gave his all to the Calgary Stampeders. He deserved better. Buono totally disrespected Pitts, but it is a business so I get that. Doesn't make it right.
    Geroy better take care. At 36, Buono will cut him loose if he thinks (a) he isn't playing up to the level he feels he should be & especially (b) if he can find a younger & cheaper wide receiver.
    If Wally can cut Pitts who I think was a better player than Simon. He was still a thousand yard receiver when he was let go. Buono can easily jettison Geroy Simon faster than you can say lasagna if he wants to.

Tags:
  2. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

It never occurred to me that Geroy could break Ben Cahoon's 1,017 catches record by season's end. This will be his year. After that yeah you're right iso, you never know. Buono means well but the reality of the business is what it is.

3. Rids

Rids Member

Interesting they were both 36 in the season they set the record.

4. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Yep. As good as Geroy is, Pitts was a more dominating receiver because he played slot. He was a huge target with speed, toughness & incredible hands. I've been around football as a fan for years so I know that it is a business but the way Wally handled the situation with Pitts was pitiful. He still had a lot of gas in the tank. I know at the time that Wally wanted to pay Travis Moore whose contract was up & he was going to FA & had to make a decision between the aging veteran or the young buck wideout... But still, there had to have been a way to handle the situation better than it was. Being a thousand yard receiver, there would have been interest in a trade judging by the way the Argos & Riders went after Pitts when he was released. Make the Pitts trade... Even if all Wally got back were some draft picks for the guy, it still would have allowed him to leave the Stampeders with dignity. He could then renegotiate a new contract with his new team instead of just throwing him out on the streets just months after he became the CFL's all time leading receiver.

5. Rids

Rids Member

Geroy's record in a little perspective:

Jerry Rice 22,895 yards
    Terrell Owens 15,934 yards
    Isaac Bruce 15,208 yards
    Geroy Simon 15,192 yards
    Milt Stegall 15,153 yards
    Tim Brown 14,934 yards
    Allen Pitts 14,891 yards
    Randy Moss 14,858 yards
    Marvin Harrison 14,580 yards
    Darren Flutie 14,359 yards
    James Lofton 14,004 yards
    Cris Carter 13,899 yards
    Henry Ellard 13,777 yards
    Terry Vaughn 13,746 yards

6. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

Interesting that Cahoon isn't on that list in spite of his 1,017 catches and all the YAC yards he gets.

7. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I have never liked CFL & NFL comparisons. There are some players perfectly suited for our game & others perfectly suited for theirs. Some NFL stars couldn't play up here as there are CFL stars who couldn't play down there due to the differences in the game.

8. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

cue Vince Ferragamo, James Scott and Billy 'White shoes' Johnson of the 1981 alouettes. Great bunch they were, especially in their 58-2 loss in winnipeg that year.