Was that Cornish with the massive block???

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Stamps Rule, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Stamps Rule

Stamps Rule Member

I sit on the other side of the stadium from where that massive block in the late 2nd quarter or early 3rd quarter took place and couldn't see it clearly, even with the multiple replays on the screen.

Was that Cornish that laid the smack down on that Eskishmoe?

He was down for quit awhile. TSN made a small fortune on the commercials they showed during the delay, I'm sure.

Tags:
  2. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah, it was Corndog, and it was even more impressive seeing it on replay after replay, and in slow motion. :D

Higgins was at the game and he told Suitor during a break in the broadcast that the league would take a look at it.

Then later in the telecast, Suitor said Higgins had run into him again and told him he had a good look at it during half-time, and he wasn't sure after seeing it a few times that any disciplinary measures would actually be taken.

The issue appears to be Cornish leaving his feet and launching himself at Sewell even though he clearly led with his shoulder and connected with the upper chest area of the unsuspecting Esks player (rather than a helmet to helmet hit).

I think the hit was 'inside the rules', but only just...;)

TM

3. Stamps Rule

Stamps Rule Member

They showed it on replay on the stadium screen, but the angle was so skewed that I couldn't see numbers or anything. All we could see was a huge red blob smash into a huge gold blob, and the gold blob stayed down. :)

I don't "like" seeing anyone get seriously hurt, but there was a lot of "AGGGHHHHing" in the stadium when they showed it.

4. Flash

Flash Member

In the NFL it would've been a suspension/fine. New nickname for Cornish = James Harrison.

5. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

After sitting out the mandatory 3 plays once he had left the field after having the wind literally knocked out of him, Sewell came back and played a pretty solid game, with 3 tackles (including a hand trip of Mitchell behind the line of scrimmage on second and short, which forced a Calgary punt), and he got Edmonton's lone sack in the game.

And on one of those other tackles, it was Cornish who he brought down, and he extended a helping hand to raise Corndog to his feet after the play ended.

As they said during the telecast, the man showed himself to be a consummate professional with that single gesture.

I have to agree. ;)

TM

6. Bronko

Bronko Member

Vince McMahon will be taking Cornish as his first draft pick in the upcoming WWE draft.

Haven't seen a flying elbow smash like that since the halcyon days of Ed Whalen -

looked like Archie The Stomper taking out Abdullah the Butcher.... lol

7. Bronko

Bronko Member

btw - Higgins shouldn't be making rulings at half-time....

I suspect Cornish might be receiving a small fine (approx. $100) for leaving his feet to blast the unsuspecting Esk.

Dangerous block, but beauty to watch on TV.

fwiw, the block was made after the fact, too!

8. C-COOP

C-COOP Member

I am not ready to compliment an Eskimo player quite yet. I also heard he shoved an old lady down some stairs and punched a baby.

That's better.

9. Rusty

Rusty Member

:D didn't he have a hand in raising the beer prices in Cowtown also?

10. Christoph

Christoph Member

It was much more within the rules than the non-penalized hit Isaac layed on Cornish a few weeks ago anyway...

Then again that hit (Isaac on Cornish) wasn't within the rules for numerous reasons.

11. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

It was all back. The helmet was incidental.