GAME DAY West Final - Calgary vs Sask

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Rids, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Rids

Rids Member

[​IMG]

Calgary Stampeders (1st in West) vs Saskatchewan Roughriders (2nd in West)
    McMahon Stadium, Calgary, AB

TV: TSN / NBC Sports (delay)
    Radio: CHQR AM770

GAME PREVIEW
    DEPTH CHART
    TSN GAME NOTES

McMahon was the site of an amazing beatdown of an opponent from the East yesterday and the Stampeders are hoping to see the same result. (hopefully with more fans in the stands...Calgary university students should be ashamed that they didn't show up)

Tags:
  2. Rids

Rids Member

3. Liske

Liske Member

Not much of a game day thread. I guess everyone's at the game.

Half-time

Sask 22
    Cal 6

Well....will there be a miracle at McMahon?

4. Liske

Liske Member

Complete and utter domination by the Riders in the trenches.

This, combined with a bushel of turnovers by the Stamps.

I expect we'll see Tate in the second half. And probably some adjustments in our d-line. Safety Fraser has been lining up in the box almost every play. But it's not really helping.

5. Rids

Rids Member

Many are at the game.

I won't see this game on TV until tomorrow night thanks to the NBC Sports tape delay. I get they don't want to go head to head against the NFL broadcasts but still there has to be some live coverage in the US. Even if it was just available via their online option and tape delayed for TV.

The CFL needs to fix their online presence too. The radio coverage, CFL mobile app, CFL game tracker, TSN game tracker and official play by play online are so mixed up. The QR online radio coverage is probably 4 or 5 minutes behind the actual game.

6. Rids

Rids Member

7. Rids

Rids Member

8. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

Thank you Calgary Stamps for the exciting season.
    Today injuries finally caught up with this team.
    Kudos to the Riders, they deserved the win. They came to play. They wanted the win more.
    Too bad the team played there worst game of the season.
    Thank you Madman for all the coverage throughout the season.

9. redwhite2005

redwhite2005 Member

I do agree with you that it the stamps paid for the injuries and it showed the riders went after that area all day. I am happy for Chamblin!

10. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

The Stamps were exposed big time and too many times they were severely controlled at the line of scrimmage. The Riders O-line was too dominant. The time of possession was like 40 minutes to 20 minutes.
    Some might say they self destructed. I say overall the team was very flat emotionally and focus and execution on assignments was lacking throughout the game.

11. Rich

Rich Member

The defence looked confused and cold. To many times they were looking at the sidelines trying to figure out what they should be doing and players were running trying to find out what position they should be in. Glen threw the ball deep, finally, big gains then the receivers lost the ball, not Glenn's fault. The D could not stop them for reasons unknown in most all situations. This was a flat team, no emotion. Injuries caught up to them. I have come to the conclusion that Calgary teams(all of them) are cursed. This is the only logical explanation to why they cannot win big games. They can get there, but they can't cross the bridge. We as fans, must accept that this team is a once in a decade championship team, if that. They can look in a mirror to see why they lost tonight. Motivation of losing last year obviously meant nothing this year, other then giving fans the false hope of a 14-4 record. I am now starting to get sick of the broken record thing, either give us some championships or don't bother with playoffs at all.

12. Liske

Liske Member

It's easy to say the team was flat emotionally or they weren't ready to play, but in order to know this you would have to be in the locker room. It's easy to project from hindsight.

The fact is this team started the game pretty much normally. Glenn engineered some good drives. But then they ran into turnover problems, which seemed to snowball. A pick early in the game can be overcome. However, a pick and a fumble, and then another fumble...are harder to recover from. And pretty soon after the wheels just came off. When the D has to come in and bail out offensive fumbles time after time, it wears them down, especially when they're already depleted in the interior.

This wasn't a team that was unprepared, it was a team that shot itself in the foot, and then the hand, and then the head.

13. redwhite2005

redwhite2005 Member

I do not know the Stamps did very well all season long even with losing starters. They did much better than I thought they would do. They had a great season the only problem is we have a coaching staff that actually believed they could continue filling holes from fallen starters. Sooner or later it is going to affect the team and in this game it did.

14. redwhite2005

redwhite2005 Member

Pretty much sums it up. The riders new with the two defenders out in the middle their running game would dictate the game and thats face it that happened.

15. redwhite2005

redwhite2005 Member

Hey do not tell the Dino's there is a curse? No they missed the three starters lost in a nothing game. It was pretty obvious and I am sorry Glenn threw twice at white jerseys. Glenn will be a backup in this league because he just can not win that big game. I mean do not get me wrong the guy is a good QB but for some unknown reason when it is do or die he turns into a pumpkin!
    The players fumbling the ball of course was not his fault but the team was just not the same as when they had Tate and BLM in there.

16. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

I thought that Hughes and Law were pretty much invisible. Once again in the big game our D played pretty normal. Outside of Mayo, the other players didn't play anywhere close to a championship D. I think that the Riders executed their game plan on the offensive side of the ball to perfection. Basically Cortez schooled Campbell. The last game the D came up with some big plays to keep the game close. Most notably, with both Bolton and Johnson out the front seven, the Stamps were pushed around way too much. Today, the big plays belong to the Riders D.

While Glenn is getting scrutinized, I thought the Stamps receivers as a whole played their worst game of the year. No Lewis, no McDaniel, pretty much showed. Like the weather they froze up. Where was Arthur or Parker?

With the pending dispersal draft and the long list of free agents, it will be very interesting offseason.

17. redwhite2005

redwhite2005 Member

Well that's really look at any team remove their D tackles and have success in one week in replacing them. That's face it the injuries this team took this year really caught up with them this time. I still shake my head at Huff for playing first stringers in the first place in the last game of the season. List all the first string players not in this game. Then again the replacements played well through out the season but this was a do or die game and that means the replacements played with a lot of pressure. At least one Calfgary team will play for a championship this next weekend! Go Dino's Go!

18. Christoph

Christoph Member

I had a very bad feeling about this game as soon as we lost both starting defensive tackles. All season, the stamps either completely shut Kory Sheets down, or at worst, limited the damage quite effectively. Unfortunately those injuries proved as untimely as possible and for the first time this season the Stamps didn't have an answer as Sheets racked up yardage like he never has against this defense. That made things much easier for Durant and the Riders offense.

However, I don't understand why Cornish only had 9 carries. He was just as effective against the Riders defense as Sheets was against Calgary, and his QBs were struggling and could have used the assistance. That's poor play calling by Dave. I don't care if the Stamps were trailing all game. This is the CFL which means you're never out of it, and Jon Cornish was the best player in the league this year.

That said, this team didn't protect the ball in the slightest. And turnovers will kill you every time in playoff football. Period.

Incidentally, after what happened yesterday, I highly doubt either Kevin Glenn or Drew Tate will be protected in the expansion draft.

19. Christoph

Christoph Member

I don't know if this will make anyone feel better (probably not) but I thought this was a hilariously poorly written headline. Keep in mind this is from the CFL's own website!

Way to get both team names wrong! :p

Attached Files:

20. Stamps Rule

Stamps Rule Member

Damn, we were crushed.

I'd honestly rather not make the playoffs than lose like that.