What Actually Happened On That Bomber Punt

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by Rids, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Rids

Rids Member

Ok I'm seeing lots of comments around the CFL sites regarding this play and how it was either ruled correctly or incorrectly.

The key is that the ball was live when the Bombers #34 McGee scooped it up and ran for 20 yards.

To recap. The line of scrimmage was the 47 yard line on the Edmonton side of half and the Bombers were on 3rd and 18 kicking into the wind. They needed the 29 yard line to get the first down but that wasn't in their minds.

http://www.cfl.ca/video/index/id/76671

3:20 mark shows the play followed by a slo-mo replay. I wish they would've played the entire explanation from Duane Forde because he was correct.

Edmonton #19 Lopez splits the gap of the up backs when Winnipeg #47 Labbe takes the man coming over the center rather than the man approaching with speed.

Edmonton #19 Lopez then blocks the punt, Edmonton #25 Miller touches the ball behind the line of scrimmage at the 47 and a half yard line, it appears to deflect again off of Edmonton #48 Lawrence about the 46 yard line before traveling another couple of yards where Winnipeg #34 McGee collects the ball at the 43.

Winnipeg #34 McGee then carries the ball to the 23 yard line.

The key things involved in the play are - the punt was blocked which negates the roughing or contacting the kicker when Lopez landed on Renaud, the blocked punt was contacted behind the line of scrimmage which negates the need to apply the No Yards ruling and finally the kick returning team doesn't need to gain control of the football because in the CFL a touch is the same as control on a kicked ball.

Tags:
  2. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

what a wild and wacky play. and those eskie unis and helmets look awful.

3. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Your an Eskie fan, Rids. I actually don't mind the new Eskimos look. As I am a Bomber fan, I absolutely LOVE the new helmets (or old, depends on your point of view)... but their jerseys are awful. Just gawd awful...

4. Bronko

Bronko Member

There doesn't seem to be much continuity with uniform design anymore. For what its worth, at least the Rider uni's look NFL (Jets) while the rest of the teams have regressed a tad. Calgary's uni's are most like their traditional duds. Eskimo uni's are very XFL....

5. Christoph

Christoph Member

You must be the only one who thinks that subtracting the bib is a regression Nate. :p

6. Flash

Flash Member

A derailment of Pizmatic proportions.

7. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

why thank you :D