What do you think of the name Redskins

Discussion in 'SF Lounge' started by Rids, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Rids

Rids Member

It has become an issue in Nepean, Ontario recently.

I do see some irony as the individual stirring the pot goes by the name DJ NDN.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/08/27/nep ... r+of+words

Some history to it:

The word Redskins was first recognized by the Oxford English Dictionary in 1587. Keep in mind at that point Oxford wasn't putting slang into use but proper lexicon. (meaning this year's addition of redic wouldn't have made the grade in 1587)

One of the earliest notated uses of the word was to reference the Beothuk Indians that were native to Newfoundland.

Discuss...

Tags:
  2. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I have no problem with the name but then I'm not an aboriginal. If there was a football team called the Slavs, Spics or Hunkies I wonder if it would still be allowed. It is far easier to change the name of a local football team to something else as it is done all the time. However, if the names of pro teams were changed then it would cause all kinds of issues like naming rights, logos, uniform sales... It would be a nightmare. So, change it at the local level for a minor football team. But leave the Chicago Blackhawks, Cleveland Indians, Kansas City Chiefs, Atlanta Braves, Edmonton Eskimos & Washington Redskins as is.

3. Stamps Rule

Stamps Rule Member

More P.C. bullcrap.

We are now a society offended by names.

4. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

Blackhawks: army squadron. Indians: from India. Chiefs: Leaders. Braves: courageous. you can always interpret those names differently

Redskins: i dunno, red deer skins i guess. Eskimos: well no problem if folk wanna hate 'em :D

5. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Yeah, but this has been going on for 20 year at least. Someone gets "offended" & suddenly it is racist. To me, it's a compliment.

6. Bronko

Bronko Member

Morden, a prosperous small city (pop. 8,500) about 65 minutes south of Wpg went thru this about 15 years ago as all their high school teams were called 'Redskins', as well.

They actually changed the darn name but somehow brought it back years later. Funny, Morden is in a Mennonite German belt with other areas like Altona, Winker, Plum Coulee, etc. Wonder if they're would have have had a fuhrer if they would have called their teams the Winkler SS, The Morden Reich, Altona Blitzkrieg, etc.?

7. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I will say this. George Preston Marshall the original owner of the Redskins was a racist. He never drafted or played a black player until well into the 1960's. And he only did that because he was under a great deal of pressure from the Kennedy & later Johnson administration to do so. As well as the fact that the Atlanta Falcons & NO Saints cut into his southern territory below the Mason Dixon Line. He liked to think the Redskins were the "South's Team" before expansion. Marshall used to make his star players do promo pics in their full football pads, jerseys & pants sans helmets. Instead wearing full head dress as well as tomahawks in war dance poses. From everything I've read, the guy was cheap as well as a total p****k.

8. Flash

Flash Member

The list of prominent businessmen that weren't racist is shorter than the list of ones that were.

The problem with Redskins is that the team hasn't bothered to even address it publically. They could educate some folks as to where it came from, why they use it and take ownership of a term that didn't start as a slur but has been used as one from time to time. And they won't until merch sales drops off and that won't happen.