What Does Cornish Have In Store For An Encore?

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, Jun 4, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

calgary-stamps-jon-cornish.jpg

What does Cornish have in store for an encore?
    Doubters have learned their lessons when it comes to projecting Stamps running back
    Vicki Hall, Calgaryherald.com

News bulletin from Calgary Stampeders training camp . . . slotback Nik Lewis wants the world to know he made a mistake.

A huge one, in fact, when it came to formulating a first impression of Jon Cornish.

“I actually said we should trade him before anyone else saw him in that first training camp,” a soaking wet Lewis was saying after yet another practice in the driving rain at McMahon Stadium. “I didn’t think he was good at all. I thought he was horrible.

“I said, ‘maybe we should trade him for somebody really good before our pre-season game, before anybody else can see him.’

“And I was wrong.”

Fast forward seven years. Just entering his prime at age 28, Cornish is coming off a season in which he led the CFL in rushing with 258 carries for 1,457 yards. He won the Most Outstanding Canadian award and was named the Western nominee for most outstanding player.

At the same time, the CFL all-star shattered the record for most rushing yards by a Canadian in a single season (1,437) set by Normie Kwong all the way back in 1956.

Coming off such a dominant season, Cornish insists it’s business as usual as he prepares for the 2013 campaign.
    “Nothing changes,” he said. “I’m not one to congratulate myself or anything.”

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports...+Cornish+have+store+encore/8473625/story.html

Tags: