What draft pick will have the biggest impact?

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by Stamps4Life, May 4, 2012.

1. Stamps4Life

Stamps4Life Member

So who will have the biggest impact this year?

I think it could be Sam Hurl in Sask. The Riders LB's are weak and he may be on the field by midseason.

Tags:
  2. Rids

Rids Member

Fredo Plesius should get an honest chance to contribute from day one. Hurl will be an interesting one though with Shomari Williams moving from DE to MLB. Perhaps he gets a rotation spot as a SAM backer getting to cover the running backs. We'll see how camp goes.

3. Stamps4Life

Stamps4Life Member

I think Plesius will be an impact player for the cats in the years to come. I honestly think with the Lb's they have he will only be able to impact on ST this year.

4. Rids

Rids Member

I can see the Ticats starting him on the Teams at the beginning of the season but finding other ways to get him involved later on. Perhaps flipping to a 3-4 on passing downs?

5. Bronko

Bronko Member

Great things are expected of Westerberg in BC - having lost Brent Johnson to retirement, Wally stepped up big time at the draft table and nabbed Westerman out of Joe Mack's grasp!

One thing is sure about who won't be the impact draft player - it won't be a bomber.

I like the idea of another award, perhaps a CIS award for INSTANT IMPACT PLAYER OF THE YEAR......but of course, a percentage of the draft are canuck players in american colleges!

Won't be Forde's Favourite - Tyson Pencer, the Great Khali of CFL draftees.

Only bomber draft that has a chance is Johnny Aprile - who i've already stated I'd be calling Johnny November if he can make some late-season impact!
    [hr]
    The safe bet for impact player of the year - Benny Heenan, playing with The Farmboyz.

6. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Mack wants to convert Aprile to a defensive back. He's never played the position except briefly in high school. So, why didn't Mack draft a DB? Don't get it.

7. Bronko

Bronko Member

Mack wants to convert Aprile to a defensive back. He's never played the position except briefly in high school. So, why didn't Mack draft a DB? Don't get it.
    [/quote]

Mack also thought Obby Khan could switch over to wide receiver. However, Obby's sluggish 6.88 time in the 40 made Plop Warner think twice.
    :dodgy:

8. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Mack also thought Obby Khan could switch over to wide receiver. However, Obby's sluggish 6.88 time in the 40 made Plop Warner think twice.
    :dodgy:
    [/quote]

For the past 2 years Mack's picks have caught people by surprise. Like, "Let's pick that guy with the next pick! Let's pick that guy! Oh crap, they picked him... Now what?" (mad shuffling of papers, worried looks on the Bomber Brass's faces)... "Who's the next guy? We'll take him!!" Only to realize later that their pick in the first round was actually their second round pick because the paper with the first round pick had fallen to the floor without them knowing it...

9. Bronko

Bronko Member

For the past 2 years Mack's picks have caught people by surprise. Like, "Let's pick that guy with the next pick! Let's pick that guy! Oh crap, they picked him... Now what?" (mad shuffling of papers, worried looks on the Bomber Brass's faces)... "Who's the next guy? We'll take him!!" Only to realize later that their pick in the first round was actually their second round pick because the paper with the first round pick had fallen to the floor without them knowing it...
    [/quote]

The Bomber brassies go into protective overdrive no matter how many draft mistakes are made, no matter how many poor choices were made about stadium planning, etc.

Mack must get his jollies off when he makes these 'left field' picks. But the sad reality is that it impacts the growth of the Winnipeg Football team - thats not good!!!

10. Goal Digger

Goal Digger Member

The guy who will have the biggest impact will have to be a guy who gets to play. Jabar Westerman, Fredric Plesius, and Patrick Lavoie are my top picks to have an impact. If the Al's have released Kerry Carter, that may be a sign that Lavoie will be their starting FB. Westerman is a beast and will play on the Lions D-line this year. Plesius should see some time at LB or even DE, but will make his mark on special teams. I have a thought that if the Riders give Bamba a legitimate shot, that he will make every other GM sorry they ignored this guy in the previous 5 rounds.

11. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Seems the biggest impact a Canadian fullback has is if he can play tight end... Sadly, that seems to be all they do now is block, carry the ball on short yardage or catch the odd swing pass out of the backfield.. George Reed, Jim Evenson, Earl Lunsford & Lovell Coleman were all fullbacks & look how they were used. I lament two things lost in the CFL; the waste of the fullback position & no actual tight ends. Instead we have these big pussy slots who can't block a sack of flower let alone a mean defensive end or linebacker.

12. Bronko

Bronko Member

Evenson, Lunsford, Lovell, George Reed. All CFL greats - add to that Hoss Houmard in his brief CFL career, Bob Swift (before switching to o-line, wasn't that something?) and a few others that could carry the mail.

However, even from my earliest days as a CFL watcher (late 50s, early 60s) I can't remember too many great tight ends as most teams were starting to evolve to the spread formation. 11 men on NFL rosters and the tight end still serves a strong purpose. 12 men in the CFL - meh!!!

Best tight ends I've seen in CFL - Herman 'Ham Hands' Harrison, Mitch Zalanasky (Wpg), Donnie Davis (Mtl). Perhaps the CFL went away from tight ends when they weren't getting enough big men with decent speed/hands from NFL cuts. Always getting the will o wisps who can't block, can't tackle, just catch balls and go down.

13. iso_55

iso_55 Member

It was Ray Jauch who changed the entire CFL when he went with two starting slots namely Gord Patterson & Joe Pop in 1979 when he was HC of the Bombers. He felt that the extra slot would create over matches in the defensive backfield & that the linebackers at the time (who were bigger & slower than they are today) couldn't cover another fleet receiver lined up in the backfield. And he was right BUT... in the long run I think it took away from the game. A versatile player, one who could block as an extra Ol or go downfield as a receiver was eliminated.
    Some great tight ends were Jim Worden in Saskatchewan, Jay Roberts & Tony Gabriel in Ottawa & Hamilton, Garrett Hunsperger in BC, Herman Harrison in Calgary, Ernie Pitts, Paul Markle & Ed Breding in Winnipeg, Mel Profit & Tony Moro in Toronto & Peter Dalla Riva & Nick Arakgi in Montreal. Funny, with all the championships teams in Edmonton I don't recall any great Eskimo tight ends...

14. Bronko

Bronko Member

How could I forget the only guy who could give Herm Hands Harrison a run for his money - Tony Gabriel. Gabriel was great throughout his career. Markle was so-so in Wpg. Profit was a bit of a monster, mostly his height in TO, Dalla Riva and Arakgki were the last of the great breed of tight ends.

Sorry Al but Ernie Pitts (#77) was mostly a flanker/wide receiver during his all-star years in Winnipeg. When Ernie slowed down a tad, Buddy Grant switched him to DB and he was very serviceable there. Unfortunatly, Pitts was shot in an american bar or tavern either just before his career ended or shortly thereafter.

15. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Pitts was always listed as a tight end but I defer to your knowledge. Profit was an excellent tight end. And outspoken. He wrote a book called "For Love, Money & Future Considerations". Ever seen that book & if you did could I get a copy?

16. Bronko

Bronko Member

I;ll have to look at some old bomber programs to see how Pitts was listed but he was well above average in speed, especially during his early bomber years. Not as versatile as the great ones, Ploen or Lewis who could play almost any position other than line.

Profit was a great CFL tight end. Import guy, if memory serves. Used to have a copy of this over-sized book but sold it a year or more ago. Have the Jim Young book in stock though - Dirty Thirty. Also have a great book written by Dan Kepley the monster LB in Edmonton. The one I'd recommend to anyone interested in CFL lore is Vince Leah's History of the Blue Bombers, covering the team from 1935 to 1979, lots of other teams CFL history inter-twined throughout!!!

17. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I have a copy of Mel's book but I wanted to get another copy. Former Argos qb Greg Barton is a friend of mine. He has seen the book but never got a copy. I wanted to give him one.

18. Bronko

Bronko Member

I'll put some feelers out!!!

19. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Do you remember any stand out tight ends for the Eskimos, Nate?