What's The Next Step For Calgary Stampeders Punter Rob Maver?

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, Jun 9, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

5386252.jpg

What's the next step for Calgary Stampeders punter Rob Maver?
    Scott Mitchell, Calgarysun.com

Anything would have been better than 2011.

A CFL West Division all-star campaign was just the cherry on top for Calgary Stampeders punter Rob Maver.

Following a lost season on the injury list two summers ago — he lasted just one game before going down with a quad problem — the 2010 first-round Canadian draft pick (fifth overall) just wanted to establish himself in ’12, his first campaign as a full-time punter.

Consider that done.

“Redemption,” Maver answers when asked how he’ll remember ’12. “Just the main thing was getting back out and playing and contributing in a positive way was the main thing I was happy about.

“A year off from football — not to say I that I took things for granted before, but I developed a new appreciation for my job and just playing football.”

The 27-year-old averaged 43.2 yards per punt, leading the CFL in net punting average at 36.2 yards. More importantly, the former University of Guelph boot-man, dropped 24 punts inside the opponents’ 20-yard-line, one off the CFL lead.

Read more: http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/06/09/whats-the-next-step-for-calgary-stampeders-punter-rob-maver

Tags: