Where do CFL QBs come from?

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by Rids, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Rids

Rids Member

Tags:
  2. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

which means to make it in the cfl you have to be a Division I QB which makes Canadian QBs more unlikely unless one can go to the states and play at that level. An american like ben Cahoon who resided long enough in canada to earn non-import status and plays college football would be the best bet.

3. iso_55

iso_55 Member

No surprise there with that story. Most, if not all CFL qbs the past 60 years have come from similar backgrounds. The difference between the starters & has beens is that the guys that could adapt to change were the ones that found success. The guys that couldn't (or maybe wouldn't) were the ones that were sent packing.
    How can a guy like Doug Flutie come up here & be a smashing success yet a guy like Cleo Lemon couldn't? Adaptability is one thing but putting in the work to understand defenses is another. Having 12 men on the field as opposed to 11 is a huge change for these American qbs. For some, the change is bigger than others as they adapt.
    Then there's the field itself. Much bigger than the NFL field. There are some throws you can make up here that you can't make in the NFL. Some guys can do it & others can't.
    Every qb at the pro level (with the exception of Tim Tebow) has roughly the equivalent skill set. They are working from the same toolbox fundamentals wise. Although some may possess a stronger arm or others more athleticism. It's the ability to adapt to change that sets the starters from the also rans. But Div 1 qbs & some Div 2 guys are the ones that play up here. It's finding the guys that can that is the challenge.

4. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

I could try to ask Doug since I'm seeing him one last time tuesday at his golf tourney. Have been to 7 Flutie events so far and haven't had the courage to approach him yet.

Conredge Holloway makes the point to players who want to try the CFL if they don't make the nfl. 'Son, if you can't throw the out on this field what makes you think you can do it on the larger field up there?'

5. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Talk to Flutie & see what he says. I'd be interested in his take. I'm sure the guy won't bite if you talk to him.

6. Rids

Rids Member

Solid article from Calgary's own PStein! Nicely done again:

http://cfl.ca/article/mmqb-backup-pivots-showing-off

Highlights:

7. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Tate has to take ownership. He has no choice. It was there for all to see on Friday. He did not play well. The biggest thing that needs to change for Tate is his ability to relax & focus on the job at hand. He can't be so revved up that he zings a 15 yard pass at 100 mph.

8. Christoph

Christoph Member

Yeah isn't he rounding nicely into form as a journalist? A year or two ago I only knew him from the radio but he's quickly turning into one of my favorite columnists. Hopefully he doesn't disappear the way Mike Petrie suddenly did...

Back to Tate though. I have a feeling the first few games of the regular season are going to look very preseason-like for him until he either finds his rhythm and settles in or...

9. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I don't know exactly what Mike does with the Stampeders but his talents are going to waste. He was an outstanding beat writer for the Herald covering the Stampeders. One of the best I have seen.
    I go back to the mid 1960's & he was up there with Don (Doc) Blanchard of the Winnipeg Free Press who covered the Blue Bombers from the early 1960's to the mid 70's & the incomparable Jack Matheson who was Sports Editor of the defunct Winnipeg Tribune & who made covering the Blue Bombers his own until 1980 when the Trib ceased operating. Both those guys covered the Bombers like a blanket & the competition among them was fierce. So, to say Michael Petrie is missed is a huge understatement.
    Petrie was knowledgeable. He knew the game & loved the CFL & he had connections everywhere. He was a throwback to guys like Jim Taylor & Dick Beddoes. A talented writer.

10. Christoph

Christoph Member

Absolutely agree 100% iso! As much as Al Cameron has grown into the position as Stamps beat writer, there has been a very noticable void in coverage since Petrie stopped covering the Stamps and started doing... I honestly have no idea what, working for the Stampeders themselves. The Stamps would be doing all their fans a huge favor by letting him return to writing. Apparently he's either being paid better or likes his job better where he is though.

11. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

I was side by side with him at the dunkin' donuts stand. but the guy is just so awesome i am not worthy. :(

12. Christoph

Christoph Member

Okay but did you get any donuts? 'Cause I wouldn't mind one or seven.