Where Will Lidstrom End Up?

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by Bronko, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Bronko

Bronko Member

Niklas Lidstrom. The great 20 year d-man for the Red Wings.

I suspect he might take one year off to be with family, friends, tour Sweden, etc.

On the other hand the Wings are very good at developing coaches and managers from their top player ranks - so Kenny Holland (GM) will probably slot Nik in as a player development guy (scout, work with younger d-men).

Perhaps, aiming to make him a full-time assistant coach in a year or two, perhaps a short stint as head coach of their AHL farm team before taking over from current head coach Babcock in two or three years.

Don't know if the Wings want Lidstrom leaking out his services to other NHL teams - especially woefuls like Montreal, Calgary, Toronto, Winnipeg, Minneapolis, etc.

Tags:
  2. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Nate, I read that he & his family are returning to Sweden as he wants his kids to be educated there. I would think his days with the Red Wings are over. I would say that he will be involved with hockey in Sweden as in their national team for the Worlds as well as the Olympics. He'd be a natural.

3. Bronko

Bronko Member

Good for Nik -

Going back to Sweden

Maybe he'll get his swedish accent back???:D

4. Christoph

Christoph Member

He'd be crazy not to return to Sweden to put his kids through school. The American education system isn't even in the same league as Sweden's. It's not even the same game. It's like comparing the NHL to a bunch of really stupid people trying to play hopscotch but having trouble keeping track of which numbered square comes next.

As for where Lidstrom will end up, the only sure answer I have right now is the Hall of Fame. ;)

5. Bronko

Bronko Member

Plan list for Nik L.

1. 1 year off from hockey
    2. Director of Euro-scouting for Wings
    3. Assistant Coach - swedish junior program
    4. Asst. coach - swedish national team
    5. Asst. coach - Wings or Griffins
    6. Head coach - Wings

All in approx. 6 to 7 years......

Of course he really doesn't need coaching for NHL club teams, does he?

And Christoph is exactly right about Swedish educational system vs. USA schools.

But Nik might be like Pa Cartwright from Bonanza - you know, a 51 year old father and 3 39 year old children??? :D