Who watches what?

Discussion in 'SF Lounge' started by Rids, May 15, 2012.

1. Rids

Rids Member

What Calgary sports to do take in during the year?

Tags:
  2. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Never heard of the Crush. What is the ABA? Lacrosse is gimmicky with the loud music. It just looks totally hokey. I have heard people say that you have to go to a game to really experience the atmosphere. Sorry, don't want to go. Nothing to get me to walk thru the doors in the first place. Well, if they can the music & respect the play on the field then maybe I'd consider it. Until then, no. Why do the lacrosse goalies wear shorts & oversized pads? Can't they wear pants of some kind?? They look like they are 50 lbs overweight, have no legs & their feet protrude out of their hips. Like Dorf On Golf. Haven't been to a Hitman game since 1999. Follow the Flames even though they suck but haven't been to a game since 1998. Stamps, yeah baby!

3. Rids

Rids Member

Crush is the new ABA team in Calgary. ABA (American Basketball Association) being the worst run pro sports league that North America has ever seen. Think Horn Chen's practice ground...when the Calgary Drillers were in operation (for 11 games? Maybe only 7) they would send the van to the airport and not know what team was going to get off the plane to play them.

Lacrosse is a mixed bag. I love it for the football sized hits in a hockey type atmosphere. Toughest sport to be a goalie in with shots coming from any angle possible. If you would rather not have the music then head to South Fish Creek Arena and catch a RMLL game this summer. Cost you about $5 and it's great entertainment. The game is so quiet that they play the music to fill the gaps. Especially with the turf field it's super quiet during a game.

Unlike hockey where you can hear the skates, the puck on the stick in lacrosse the ball doesn't make a sound as it goes from stick to stick and only really missed shots make a sound when they hit the boards. Field lacrosse is a nearly silent sport.

4. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Rids, I'm Old School. To me then they disrespect the game. If it's quiet, so be it. How much louder is soccer on the field? If the crowd can't get into the game to make the atmosphere better without a gimmick (music) then I'm not interested. The Roughnecks used to routinely get attendance of 12-14,000 & now if they get 9-10,000 it is considered a great crowd so something is turning the crowds away.

5. Rids

Rids Member

The nosedive in Roughneck attendance was due to off field things not game atmosphere things.

I gave up my season tickets when the price of my 2 seats doubled. To keep 2 seats at the same price we would've had to bump from the lower bowl to upper bowl halfway up. Suddenly they had less than half of the lower bowl filled with many not renewing.

They were on shaky ground with an owner crying poor every year, as a member of the expansion committee he was visiting other cities on behalf of the League and shopping his team to them while viewing the facilities (Dallas Roughnecks anyone?), a brutal lease that gave all parking money to the Stampede and concession money to the Flames while also increased security costs after an altercation, and a situation where players were getting paid late (sometimes months late).
    [hr]
    Just as a thought pro basketball has gone with music during the action for longer. It's part of dealing with very quiet sports in a large building. In lacrosse sometimes having the music playing keeps it PG rated for those in the stands...

6. iso_55

iso_55 Member

No, tv, no radio. NLL is minor league. Surprised the Flames would want to bankroll that team. And from what I remember of the Calgary Drillers & the ABA, the Crush probably will be too.

7. Rids

Rids Member

Got the easy answer to that. 8 more dates filled at the Dome and a lacrosse crowd of 10,000 out drinks a hockey crowd of 20,000.

8. Rids

Rids Member

The lack of TV is what really hurts the NLL though. Numbers have gone down since that national TV deal left.

9. iso_55

iso_55 Member

No tv deal means advertisers don't care neither do the general public. Even the Fan 960 doesn't broadcast games anymore.