Who's Most Obnoxious???

Discussion in 'SF Lounge' started by Bronko, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Bronko

Bronko Member

Who's the most obnoxious public figure in Canadian Sports?

My 3 nominees (feel free to add yours) are:

1. Rod Black
    2. Michael Landsberg
    3. Brian Burke (perennial contender since 1988)

Pierre Gauthier was a strong contender until he was dumped on his keester - he'll find work, don't worry about him in minor league ockey or possibly tier 2 junior ockey!!!

Tags:
  2. Stamps Rule

Stamps Rule Member

Rod Black needs to STFU about the Riders all the time.

Landsberg is pretty annoying, but I dislike Burke more.

3. Bronko

Bronko Member

Its amazing just how despised Burke is - - - even with all the charitable stuff he rents his name out to

Half of it is probably due to his arrogance when he was Bettman's house-boy at NHL office..... then his arrogance with the California team he took to the Cup - - - and now as a totally weak, indecisive and confused GM of the Leafs!

I think a ton of people hate him cuz of the way he always confronted media guys, like he was challenging them 'to go'.....

Also, when he vowed to "rent a barn" to take that Edmonton executive to the woodshed!!! lol

4. Bronko

Bronko Member

Ultimate OBNOXIO panel for OTR

Landsberg, Burke, Black, probably Steve Ludzig to top it off!

Maybe Sherry Bassin.... anyone know who he is?

5. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Never watch OTR so therefore Landsberg isn't obnoxious to me. Rod Black is not only obnoxious but a terrible broadscaster. Glenn Suitor is knowledgeable but annoying as he focuses in on one thing & then constantly repeats it. If he could learn to mention something & then move on he'd be fine. Bob Cole is another obnoxious broadcaster.

6. Bronko

Bronko Member

As former broadcasters Al we both know whats required for greatness. Here's my Coles notes (not Bob) version on what I'd do if I was directing some of these guys.

1. Rod Black - good voice and broadcast tone. Somewhat disconnected to the actual game at hand. Very poor game-planning and doesn't appear to come into the booth with any kind of story line other than what the floor director hands him. Does not connect or utilize his color man well - fails to see anything materializing in front of him or on the monitor. No longer salvageable as he's nearing 55 and won't be able to change. Black is mentally lazy as opposed to John Wells who was good but got more incoherent as the broadcast went on.

2. Suitor - opposite of Wells. Prepares is story-line and sticks to it (as you say). However, when the story-line unravels, he's still sticking to the old script and can't adjust to the game. Thats a bad tendency. I don't know if he can recover, even if someone brings it to his attention.

3. Bob Cole - Over and Out. Too old, too blind, too slow. Good voice though but I'd rather have Joy Behar calling the games so long as she knew the calls and could describe ebb and flow.

4. Landsberg - nearing 60. Unsalvageable.

5. The sooner we can get Doug Brown a color gig, the better. Even Milt Stegall could do well.

6. Duane Forde - good story-teller, above average knowledge of game, rules, players, coaches, draft picks, almost everything. Only deficit is laconic delivery, monotone presentation and failure to make things interesting. The best of a bad lot.

7. Matt Dunigan - great panelist, even better as a color man.....not used enough other than same day double-headers. Personality, story-teller extraordinaire! Should be the lead colorman, get Suits or D. Forde some panel reps.

7. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Good synopsis, Nate. I also like Chris Schultz who I think should be doing analysis in the booth. Amazing there isn't any young talent coming up to push Black out of there. Too bad Bob Irving in Winnipeg or Mark Stephen here in Calgary never got a chance to do tv play by play on TSN.

8. Christoph

Christoph Member

How is it that Don Cherry failed to make your list???

I'd bump Landsberg to numero uno and slide Grapes into the top 5 somewhere.

9. Christoph

Christoph Member

I agree. I've become a big fan of Chris Schultz's work. I know Forde is a bit dull tonally at times but I still find him to be very knowledgeable and insightful and therefore I quite enjoy listening to him speak.

10. Bronko

Bronko Member

Grapesey is either reverred or hated but I think he's more reverred than hated in Canada, despite being a hard right-winger who now spends more time (during the regular season) on middle east armed forces casualties than hockey.

I'd be speculating but I'd say less than 20% are repulsed by his over-bearing and forced on-air personality.

But he'd easily be in the Top 10 or 12 in the land of the obnoxious.... as would

PJ "Laughing" Stock, Steve Ludzig, Mark Lee, Bryan Hall, Pierre McGuire, Jim Barker, Jim Popp, Mike Kelly & Lyle.

11. Bronko

Bronko Member

Just gotta add Garth 'Barf' Buchko to the list of obnoxiousoids.

He's not yet a household figure yet, only appearing on a handful of TSN and Sportsnet hi-lite packages, usually to announce the stalling of the Wpg Stadium project. Even some diehard bomber fans (those that thought Jeff Reinbold & Mike Kelly were coaching aces) are finding this guy hard to stomach. . . and thats saying something when even the diehards/lemmings are gradually falling off the ledge!