Wild scores top two

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by Tundra Mustang, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

The Minnesota Wild have this morning signed both Ryan Suter and Zack Parise, who were widely regarded as the top two UFAs available this year, to identical 13 year-$98M contracts!

Quote:

Free agent forward Zach Parise and defenceman Ryan Suter have both agreed to terms on contracts with the Minnesota Wild.

Both deals are worth $98 million over 13 years, carrying an average annual value of $7.538 million.

Missing the majority of the 2010-2011 season due to injury, Parise returned last season with 31 goals and 38 assists in 82 games for the New Jersey Devils. He would add eight goals and seven assists in 24 playoff games to help lead the team to the Stanley Cup Final.

Suter scored seven goals and 39 assists in 79 games with the Nashville Predators in 2011-12. He was selected to represent the team at the All-Star Game in Ottawa.

Read more:
    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399913

That will certainly up the ante in the NW for the coming season, but at least Minnesota is likely to be shuttled off into the Central division through realignment in 2013...;)

It also increases the prospect of being able to deal Bouwmeester to one of the bridemaids who lost out on the bidding, say Detroit or Nashville, for some useful assets....:D

TM

Tags:
  2. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Parise & Suter Sign With Minnesota

Blockbuster news just breaking... Sportsnet.ca is reporting the Minnesota Wild has signed both Zach Parise & Ryan Suter to 13 year contracts each worth a reported $98 million dollars US.

[Edit: I don't think iso noticed that his posting of this news in a separate thread followed by a mere minute the posting of this thread, so now they're "merged for ever after"...;) (TM)]

3. Christoph

Christoph Member

There were a few teams that I had hoped might be landing spots for one or both of those guys, but for that money and term, you can have them Minny! No really, take them! There is no way this is going to end well.

No wonder they won the bidding war. They exceeded what any reasonable minded team would have been willing to offer by a wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide margin. Even with a short term contract, $7.5M per season is more than either of them is worth. But over a 13 year deal? That's just pure insanity. We're talking about all-stars here not superstars. I could see $7.0M over 5 years or $5.5M over 10, but $7.5M over 13?????? I knew the slim picking of this years UFA crop would drive up the prices but I never saw this coming.

Enjoy your 35 goals from Parise and your 20 minutes a night from Suter and the dime-a-dozen power play quarterback production he'll give you.

Enjoy it while it lasts that is, because you're only going to get it for about 40%-50% of the life of the ridiculous contracts you just handed them.

And good luck building a cup winner with a those two cap hits absorbing so much space.

4. pizmo

pizmo Member

The stupidity of NHL GM's knows no bounds. If there is a lockout, management salaries should all go to charities.

5. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Those are mega deals... it is stupidly unreal. I hear the salary cap is now at $68 million, thirty million dollars more than 2005-06 when teams returned after the lockout. Why anyone would want to tie up money for nearly a decade & a half is beyond me. Parise 1s 26.... No way he plays at a high level till he is 39. These must be tremendously front loaded contracts.

6. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Actually, it's apparently higher than that: $70.2M. ;)

TM

7. iso_55

iso_55 Member

RE: Parise & Suter Sign With Minnesota

Guess you beat me to the punch. All good, TM.

8. Christoph

Christoph Member

So I guess the going rate for diminutive injury prone 35 goal scorers is $7.5M per season for 13 years now eh?

Either that or the Wild are crazy.

Actually by definition I think that's exactly what the Wild are. ;)

9. Flash

Flash Member

It's the going rate. Suter is a top Dman and Parise is a top forward. Would've loved both in Nashville.