Winnipeg Jets Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by deuvl, Jan 25, 2013.

1. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Great 5-4 shootout win win tonight by the Jets in Toronto. Moved up 5 spots in the Eastern Division standings. Winnipeg now leads the Southeastern Conference. Now they are the third seed in the East. The game was a tale of two teams. Toronto played strong in the first taking a 1-0 lead to the dressing room after one. Winnipeg dominated the first 16 minutes of the second to take a 4-1 lead. Then Toronto scored 3 straight to tie things up & force an OT shootout. After 10 rounds & a couple of goalposts on both sides, Zach Begosian bags the winner for the Jets. Almost schizophrenic!!!

2. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

Lucky the rangers are so bad.

3. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

my dad was at the ottawa game today. sorry guys. yet amazingly you're still atop the division.

4. Bronko

Bronko Member

That was a fun game. Jets grind it out to a 4-1 lead and then suddenly, they turn from a grinding hardcore hockey team to a group of prima donnas and Toronto walks over them, Jets lucky to hang on to a tie in regular time.

OT settles nothing.

Then, everyone sees why Toronto and Wpg aren't going far in post season. Assortment of pad-thumpers and concessionaires. Wellwood and Antropov were disgusting in the shootout. Looked like they were delivering groceries to the door of Toronto goaler Smiley Reimer.

5. iso_55

iso_55 Member

You know, considering this team's history in Atlanta, I'll take a 1st round playoff series. We win, fantastic. WE don't. Hey, we made the playoffs.

6. Bronko

Bronko Member

Given the Nasty Nate Decision Desk has declared the Jets won't be players in the Jonathan Drouin, Nate McKinnon, Popeye Jones sweepstakes - we'd have to lose almost all our games down the stretch for that to happen - - -

So, I'd take a Jets playoff series, even if it meant a top team like Montreal swiffering the Jets in 4 straight - at least the two games in Whiteoutville would be wild and wooly before the under-manned Jets succumb to superior personnel.

Jets 1st rd pick - somewhere between #9 and #12.

7. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Man, a playoff series would be fun. The original White Out. Show those Coyote fans how it's done. ;)

8. Bronko

Bronko Member

Jets are proving out to be nothing more than dogs.

They got creamed by Sidberg a couple days back (4-0) and looked impotent as all hell today, only scoring 1 goal against Carolina's 4th string goaler!!!

You could put 88 yr old Johnny Bower in nets for our opponents and Johnny would probably garner a .850 save percentage, perhaps higher. Jets are just really feeble on their sticks. No real snipers in the lineup other than one-dimensional Evanka Kane.

Jets could have secured the division title by knocking out the Canes in front of 15,000 roarin' fans but went limp and breathed new life into Carolina.

Jets media are besides themselves cuz 'they told the Jets coach how important this game was'. Like media pressure works on low IQ athletes with guaranteed pay packets?

Ever see a horse race where one horse comes out of the starting chute like a house on fire, looks unbeatable to the 3/4 pole turning into the stretch drive. Then suddenly, said horse runs out of gas, and gets passed by the field. Sorta same thing with Jets.

Also akin to a wounded heavyweight (Carolina) still be able to dispose of a pesky welterweight.

Winnipeg media will now declare every upcoming game as a must game until their team runs out of gas before the finish line.

9. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

chihuahuas not pitbulls.

10. iso_55

iso_55 Member

No one said this team was a Stanley Cup finalist. I just want go see a playoff series...

11. Bronko

Bronko Member

I guess I was spoiled watching guys like Hedberg, Nilson, Hull in the WHA. Played with speed, finesse and authority and won way more often than not.

Then in the 80s, we had Hawerchuk, McLean, Babych, Ellett, Savard, Carlyle, even though the team was run by a no-mind like John Ferguson and a penny-pinching pauper/owner named Barry Shankarow. One of the best teams in hockey, but Edmonton was a power-house, we couldn't get by them.

Now its just slow-footed men, AHL callups, Atlanta's poor draft picks and trades. First place in division TODAY, but in about 6 or 7 games their lead will evaporate totally and panic will set in - IF IT HASN'T ALREADY!!!

12. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

against a canadian team no less. ottawa and toronto in the running for the sixth place unless the bruins ship begins to sink.

13. Bronko

Bronko Member

Jets are pretty much dead ducks. I'd be surprised if they won more than 4 of their remaining games. Only drama for lame Winnipeg media is to see if other teams can help the Jets retain the perch. However, 4 wins won't do it - they'll have to win at least 6 or 7 of their remaining matches and still get a bit of help before descending into non-playoff hell!

14. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I think this team will do it. Just got that feeling. I know they aren't a great team but hey...

15. Jayman

Jayman Member

The truth is, 13 mil cap room, draft picks (i think ten!) up the ying yang, lacking @ RW, scoring, toughness and D and Chipper does nothing.
    This is all about the balance sheet, nothing to do with winning hockey. They are sold out for the next three years, The Province just gave them 60 VLT's, they are still on the tax payers tit @ all three levels, they are mean tough on scalpers so they retain that revenue, merch is thru the roof and they remain just plain hockey cheap.
    Once the Lemmings, me included, get tired of huge coin for c+ results, Chipper's gang will be giving you a few P1's with your Hyundi trade up.

"We won't get fooled again"

16. iso_55

iso_55 Member

At least the Jets are self sufficient & well managed unlike the other team in that new fangled stadium in the south of Winnipeg. My beef with the Jets is I get patience, but not patience at the speed of a crawling turtle. But hey, if they make the playoffs then fans will be satisfied.

17. Bronko

Bronko Member

I agree with Jayman - Jets are managed tight.

Most of their excellence of execution applies to off-ice endeavours where they score an easy A, possibly A+ to some.

On the ice, its a different ballgame. Jayman gives them a C+. By the end of the season, when the lead on the conference evaporates before their very eyes, even with all media egging them on - they'll be a C-, possible D. And if they somehow make the upper tier of non-playoff squads they could be drafting as low as #12 to #14, foregoing some of the great finds they could have had with a truly dog-eared season, like Nate McKinnon, Jude Drouin or Popeye Jones.

18. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Yeah, getting the 8th seed in the East will make us miss out on some good talent available but I want to see a White Out this season at the MTS Centre. There aren't any Dale Hawerchuk's available to us anyway. For Calgary sure, but not us. Our problem isn't an absence of prospects, it's being not willing to go out & spend during FA. Maybe Joe Mack's been talking to Cheveldayoff?

19. Bronko

Bronko Member

You mean ChevyNoPlayoff, don't you Al? lol

20. Jayman

Jayman Member

Interesting article in todays FreeP.
    http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports ... 30851.html

Chipper's got 3 levels of gov juice, pays little if any City or Prov taxes, has more VLT's in the barn than Roseau River First Nation has, thin beer priced like champagne, ALL merch controlled heavy, everything done "in house", 13 mil of cap space, ticket prices only lower than TO, 50% higher than Chicago, draft picks up the ying yang (watched a XXX movie by that name, once), double the ticket price of Ottawa, every game sold out for perhaps a decade, ticket prices going up, 13 mil of cap space, oozing draft picks AND, wait for it,
    THEY WON'T SPEND ANYTHING OR TRADE PICKS TO IMPROVE A MEDIOCRE TEAM!!! Picks play cheap, for a while, quality costs.
    Why won't they?
    Because it's all about the money.
    One day, in a year or two, the lemmings will start to grumble, a few boos will be heard, then, the leprosy Chipper fears most, EMPTY SEATS, will appear. Gabe will take a night off, HNIC will mention it. Winnipegers don't like being scammed, it won't wear well. Andrew Ladd's work ethic won't be enough. Loose a Winnipeg fan base, cost you double to get it back. Thompson should trip his buy out now.

(end of rant, await response, if none, 2 x Rolling Rock, sleep)