Winnipeg Jets Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by deuvl, Jan 25, 2013.

1. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Wow, Jayman such doom & gloom. I don't buy it, personally... Should they spend more, yeah... let's see what happens when FA comes.

2. Bronko

Bronko Member

Jayman is always accurate with his facts. Jets slimed out badly last nite, only good thing they did was saving Torturella's job, going down 4-2 to the meatball rangers.

I'll say this - bomber fans are super-shills and lemmings, don't seem to care about losing. However, Jets fans can't be categorized in the same way. A tiny core of lemmings and "I DON'T CARE" but the fanbase is starting to erode. If season ticket holders could escape their mortages, I'd say at least 10% of them would walk today - thats about 1,500 seats. Of course, the first round of escapees would easily be replaced by some fresh eager beavers who didn't get in on the first goldrush. After that, all bets are off!!!

3. Jayman

Jayman Member

iso, i just says it as i sees it.
    The Jets are probably one of the wealthiest teams around. They have it all. VLT's, government assistance (yeh, City and Prov write them cheques!!), tax breaks, new building linked to skywalk system, Concerts every second nite, a caveat that prevents any public funds from supporting a competing venue for pete's sake. Sold out for what, three years minimum.
    And on the hockey side, a very mediocre team loaded with draft picks and WAY under cap.
    The response, probably "stand pat".
    My point is just that Chipper is working this wave he's on for all it's worth. There won't be any drafts, cap space or money spent, all of which they have lots of, to improve a mediocre team. Why? Because they don't have to. The lemmings (i'm one) are currently happy spending huge coin just to be there. It's starting to wear off. Did u see the fan go over the glass (boston uni) to ream out Noel?
    Chipper needs to spend some coin, soon, to up-grade this team. Tight seats, high cost, tough parking, Wpg. will endure all that but loosing @ one ten a ticket, won't sustain. Just won't.

A year from now, without a buzz, there will be cranky fans wondering where all the loot is going, because, so far, it just seems to be going towards Chipper and The Hippy.

4. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Yes, I agree 100% Jayman. As a fan, I want to see the Jets make a concerted effort to sign FA's & not be happy with status quo. As fans will do, they will turn on ownership & mgmt if they feel they are being snowed. I mean, look at the Flames here. For the last 5 years, we were told that the Flames were "a good team"... even a Stanley Cup contender... when they weren't. The Flames solution? Use the band aid approach to things. Sign older & expensive veterans whose better days were behind them. And overpay the stars they had. Yesterday, the Flames GM Jay Feaster said everything was his fault. That it was he who behind this approach. HE didn't want to be the guy to be forever known as the GM who traded Iggy. Well, he said he realized he was wrong yet he still did it. Thanks for nuthin', Jay & same with the retarded GM we had before him. Meanwhile, we just wasted years delaying the rebuild. So, the fans are going to turn on this team because the fans were lied to. Owner Chipman & Jets GM Cheveldayoff better be careful not to treat the fanbase in Winnipeg like they did in Calgary... With little respect & very little truth.

5. Bronko

Bronko Member

Darn those angry natees in Bruin gear!!! Note to Chipper - you're gonna go poor from now on adding a rent-a-cop (would Paul Blart please report to the Jets bench) for $12.25 an hour to be a human shield for Clod the Frod.

6. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Jets sinking faster than the Titanic. We'll see if the "patience approach" holds true tomorrow.

7. Jayman

Jayman Member

Trouba signed.
    http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/sto ... -jets.html
    Think that will keep the "no deals done" heat off Chevy?
    They will splash it but the salary cost will keep Chipper and The Hippy smiling.

Good "buzz to juice" ratio deal, should placate the lemmings.

"Chipper and The Hippy" is copyrighted and may not be used without my specific written consent, or, one measly rep point.....

8. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I will say this. I'm glad the Hippy owns this team. Considering the last Jets owner Barry Shenkarow would be his bus boy at an owners meeting.

9. Bronko

Bronko Member

Went down to the Jets store. Tried to get some of that nifty underwear The Hippy was wearing in the Toronto pressbox last time. They friggin' didn't know what I was talking about!!!

10. Jayman

Jayman Member

Ok you've both used it, " Chipper and The Hippy " , pay up....

11. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I gotta hit Thompson up for a loan.

12. Jayman

Jayman Member

Old real estate joke, "What is the definition of a joint venture? That's when one party has an idea and the other party has the capital to fund it. When is the joint venture complete? That's when the roles have been reversed."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ca ... _net_worth

Interesting to note David Thompson, 3rd Baron of Fleet, apparently his net worth started declining recently.

Hmm.....

All this high level research and comment and i still am stuck at four measly rep points? Do i have to post my Byfuglien naked pictures?

13. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

You'd normally get rep removed for that but i'll give you some for not posting any :p

Besides, after tonight's thrashing in our house you could use some consolation rep.

14. Jayman

Jayman Member

I should feel bad for mooching a rep but,......for some reason I don't.
    Somewhere out there in Tuxedo a calculator just concluded that missing a couple of playoff games will cost more than spending a few second round picks, yesterday's VLT revenue and a mil of their 13 mil cap space.
    The VP of spin will soon be asked to conjure up an explanation and let The Hippy know.
    Then the VP of bad news will be asked to figure out an explanation to feed The Lemmings, sorry, Season Ticket Holders why their playoff tickets (already paid for) are really for next year.
    CJOB will need to get the "here comes Trouba" story ready, along with a thorough review of all the spectacular draft picks that will bring victories unlimited in the future. Shortly after that the Birchwood Group will renew a months worth of Chevy and Hyundai ads.
    The Mayor will duck a bullet, The Province will announce ten year old flood results and The Bombers will announce they have hired a long snapper coach. Butchko will ask someone why she needs a coach.
    Winnipeg will rest easy.

15. Bronko

Bronko Member

Winnipeg looked like a true AHL squad, going down meekly to the mighty habs.

Not much effort, even less talent.

They'll be omitted by about Game 45, then these idiots might win a couple meaningless games to cost them a #4 or #5 draft pick, receiving #6 to #8 instead.

Thats what hockey's all about in hippy-land.

Jay - still can't find Hippy's underwear with a Jets logo!!! whats up wid dat???

16. Jayman

Jayman Member

Harv-Al sportwear, North Main, tell em i sent you. Minimum order is a dozen.

17. Bronko

Bronko Member

So then you're saying he was wearing just a one-piece of $30 Stanfields underwear in the Jets box?

While Chipman was wearing that expensive $249 suit he picked up at Tip-Top?

18. Jayman

Jayman Member

I think The 3rd Baron of Fleet was wearing the Toronto version of a "wife beater". Chipper had on a "Birchwood Special". Tip Top holds them for rookie car con's.
    By the way, i grew up (some would say) just off Fleet Street and we never knew we had a Baron, never mind three!

19. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Guys, I know this is all in fun & jest about Thompson & Chipman but let's face it. Without those 2, we'd never have NHL hockey back in Winnipeg so I will never have bad things to say about them. Plus, they got their arena built without a helluva lot of government involvement unlike Oilers owner Katx in Edmonton who just expects the AB govt to give him more, more & more money. Bringing back NHL hockey into a small Canadian market that lost their team 14 years before was a huge financial risk. They not only convinced the NHL but their business model works so more power to them. I expect a new NHL arena will be built in another 10-15 years that will sit 18-19,000, you watch.

20. Jayman

Jayman Member

iso i agree completely.
    My point is just that 15,004 of us fans are paying serious coin to two Owners who have the draft picks, cap room and coin to give us a far better product for our hard earned, and they didn't and won't.
    In the CFL every team pays to the cap limit in an attempt to improve the fan experience, create a better team. It's not a choice.
    In The NHL, teams like the Jets, who have thirteen million of room to give the fans a better experience, don't.
    I suspect the wallet will open up when the buzz comes off, and it will. So, in logic, when the fans fill the barn These Owners don't do all they can to improve the product. When ticket sales slow, the wallet has to open, the product get better. What a cynical cycle of Fan\Owner relationship. Why not reward the self proclaimed best fans in The League now and spend a little of the profits? There are serious profits.
    The 3rd Baron of Fleet and The Godfather of car sales didn't get to the top by appeasing the masses and they won't now.
    Call them Gods but they are really just tough business men. I can accept that, i respect it, but lets not for a minute think this is about providing their customers with a better experience, more success, because they didn't. It's clearly just about the money.

They have more draft picks than most, higher ticket revenue than most, more cap room than most, less risk (sold out for 3/4/5 years) than most, and they spent none of that to improve the fan experience. And please let\s loose the "small market" label. Do the math of tickets sold x average price. They are out grossing the Penguins!!

Good for them.