Winnipeg Jets Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by deuvl, Jan 25, 2013.

1. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Jayman, sure... I agree. I think the Jets should spend more money. And yes, the bloom will come off the rose if they don't improve in the next couple of years. But the Jets are a lot better than the Calgary Flames who for years sold a gullible media & fanbase here about first being Stanley Cup contenders & then playoff contenders when thathat line couldn't work anymore for obvious reasons. Now, they are in a rebuild & what does the Court Jester & Puppet for owner Murray Edwards (Jay Feaster say? That his boss Edwards now known as the Puppet Master expects a playoff spot next year or else. What bullshit. The Flames couldn't make the playoffs the past 4 years with Iggy & Bouwmeester & now he says Edwards the owner expects the team to be in the playoffs in a year's time with a bunch of kids???? At least Jets ownership isn't trying to sell a bill of goods to their fanbase like the Flames are doing. I'd rather have the Jets scenario than the BS coming out of the Flames this week.

2. iso_55

iso_55 Member

The other thing, Feaster is long on talk & short on action. He is a slick salesman. Always says what fans & media wanna hear. We'll see how the Jets & Flames do in the next couple of years to come.

3. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Just wanna say I like the Flames. I should be more of a fan but it just seems the organization from team Prez Ken King, then Darryl Sutter & now Jay Feaster haven't been honest with the fans now for years. The impression I get of Flames GM Jay Feaster is a guy who will say anything to have people like him or to save his job. The "Murray Edwards gave me my marching orders" comment yesterday about having to make the playoffs in 2014 was absolutely stupid & the wrong thing to say... Just can't see Ken Cheveldayoff in Winnipeg saying something like that.

4. Bronko

Bronko Member

The guys in WPg. = ie. Chevynoplayoff and others are very smug. They know fans have bought into their 5 year plan to develop their own system. However, they are good enough to make playoffs and not quite bad enough to get a crackerjack junior. Its a quandry. Much like Calgary.

Chevy just has more noose that Fatty, thats all!

5. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Cheveldayoff would never promise something he can't deliver. Feaster, gotta wonder why he says the things he does.

6. Bronko

Bronko Member

No different than a carney or a car salesman with nothing but lemons on his lot. You won't get confession out of psychopaths. They'll do whatever they can to close the deal.

Same with most NHL GMs. They will never admit to failure until perhaps the day after they're fired. Always gotta be selling next year, or if that doesn't cut it use the old 5 YEAR PLAN TRICK like Chevy does in Wpg.

7. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I don't know what is worse. A GM trying to sell a 5 year plan like in Winnipeg or a GM trying to sell a 1 year rebuild like here in Calgary. Either way, fans see right through them. I think a rebuild should be no longer than 3-4 years. At the same time, young players can't expect to be able to adapt to the NHL in just a year.

8. Jayman

Jayman Member

Agreed.

9. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Winnipeg: Slow & steady. Stay the course. Calgary: "Everything's coming up roses for me & for you..."

10. Bronko

Bronko Member

The 5 year rebuild is just a feeble acronym for 'Be Patient with Us', while the 1 year quick build is just an outright lie!!!

Neither the Jets nor Flames are bad enough to land a top draft pick (ie. NateMcPopeyeDrouin, etc.) so they both will linger in the bottom turd of the league, the Jets occasionally making a run into the lower half of the middle third, the Flames are definitly bottom turd.

11. Jayman

Jayman Member

"Turd", great hockey word, as in,
    "La troisieme etoile, da turd star, ma brudder, Henri"
    I was ten years old rolling on the floor spewing tang and popcorn and laughing so hard the tears ran.....still love the sense of togetherness in Montreal.
    The humor? Little brother hadn't registered a shot on goal!!!

12. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Calgary will be in the Bottom 3, I believe. The Seth Jones-Nathan MacKinnon-Jude Drouin Sweepstakes. And if St.Louis makes the playofs that'll be THREE first round draft picks for the team this year. Talk about restocking the shelves, wow! If Feaster blows this like his predecessors did on Draft Day for the most part the past 20 years, it'll take a decade to recover.

13. Jayman

Jayman Member

Ran into an old friend who is now an NHL scout for a team to remain nameless. I offered my Jets rant about how Chipper and The Hippy are conning the lemmings by running a low cost program with high revenue. He agreed and referenced Johny Oduya. jets traded him away to Chicaga for a 2nd and 3rd pick. He felt it was a 3.2 salary dump, pure and simple. Apparently Coaches wanted to keep him, upstairs said nope. Started watching this guy, big ice time for a superior team. Then i thought back to The Jets last game, last power play. Clitsome and Postma on the ice, collective $$ for both is half Oduya.
    It will be interesting to watch Chevrolet convince fans that he really has a license to improve. The unspoken, i suggest, is he can't buy, he has to steal.
    Read Rids and ISO talking about deficient sports facilities. The Winnipeg irony; now superior facilities that seem to have sucked the economic desire/ability out of the teams that play in them. Great facility, great product, pick one. Bombers head office doesn't know how to improve the product, Jets head office knows it probably doesn't have to. Fans suffer. It sucks to be us.

14. iso_55

iso_55 Member

15. iso_55

iso_55 Member

So much for bottom 3. They can't even get drafting a high pick right. Flames draft 6th.

16. iso_55

iso_55 Member

jayman, you guys have it great compared to Calgary. We have less than great facilities except for the Flames. In this city, it's also just about elite Oly winter athletes. Baseball, football & even soccer to some extent. Personally, I could give 2 hoots about elite winter athletes. Give the money instead to build proper amateur stadiums, arenas & fields for the kids.

17. Bronko

Bronko Member

Actually, the story goes more like this. And I know this cuz I used to tell this whenever I spoke at hockey or curling banquets in the 80s and early 90s.

So The Rocket is pickin' stars for Hockey Nite in Kanada shortly after he retires in 1960-61. Habs have just finished playing Detroit on Saturday Nite from the forum in Montreal.

Frank Selke, Jr. ask Rocket to give the fans his 3 stars.

Rocket goes -

For da first star, da premier etoille I pick my old friend Gross Bill, Jean Beliveau, he score one goal, keep his nose clean and almost trow a nice bodycheck.

For da second star, da deuxieme etoille, I pick my little brudder Henri. He score one assist, keep nose clean and generally work hard all over ice.

For da turd star, da troisieme etoile, dats a hard one. But I gotta go with that big bugger, #9, Gordon Howe. Had he NOT SCORED 5 Goals, Canadiens might have won game!!!!

18. iso_55

iso_55 Member

They don't even have the guys skate out for the Three Stars anymore. I gess teams & players are too good for that now.