Wpg Rumour Mill welcomes Doug Brown

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by Bronko, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Bronko

Bronko Member

Rumours have now perked up naming Doug Brown to the vacant Assistant General Mgr. position with the Bombers.

Local threads state the Bombers went thru the short list and the short list ran for cover.

Leaving our favourite martian - Doug "Hands Down" Brown....

If an athletic therapist can do the job then a guy with a giant frame and a vocabulary to match might get it done!!!

If Forde decides to deflect the Bombers, I'd welcome Brown with open arms.

Tags:
  2. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

sounds like a good move.

3. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I thought he wants to get into broadcasting? Don't know if this is a good move or not.

4. Bronko

Bronko Member

Brown is managing his business these days by writing a weekly column for the local daily, doing a 1 hour weekly radio show and gap-filling as a temporary panelist (less than 5 appearances) on TSN. TSN is very crowded right now with Stegall, Forde, Schultzie, Dunigan, Randorf, Plop, Jockstrap, Naylor, etc.
    Getting tapped for an AGM job probably means Brown gets a guaranteed (2 years for sure, probably 3 knowing Winnipeg) salary for at least $125,000 and knowing the desperation level of Bomber managment right now, possibly up to the level of his last playing contract (circa $180,000.

Realistic guess - Brown snaps up the offer (if there is one) and negotiates a contract in the vicinity of $145k - $155k

5. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I'd like to see the Bombers sign someone with experience to work with Mack. maybe that's the problem. Maybe no one wants to work with the guy. We'll see, I guess.

6. Bronko

Bronko Member

Regardless of what transpires in the Peg, there will be an abundance of off=season optimism (there always is).
    But the thought Mack's and the Garthstapo are a repugnant organization where no one wants to work is a repugnant thought that has great merit.

Any organization infested by stinkin' thinkin', arrogance about its own direction and accomplishment thinks they have a choice of anyone they want in their organizational chart.

But experience tells us that since the halcyon days of Cal Murphy & Mike Riley this organization has been infested by a cycle of incompetence that even I, the anti-bomber fan/chronicler cannot keep speed with.

Reinbold, Paopoa, Mike Quinn, Lord Lyle, Doogeyman Berry, Rotten Ross, Jim 'RingThe' Bell, Mike Kelly, Mel Watchorn, Plop, Buchko, Osama, Ken Bishop, White Zombie, I could go on and on.

The picture is clear, other than The Lord, not one of these individuals had experienced much success in the outside world and Bauer's success was with farm chemicals, not football teams. Watchorn ran an investment fund (or two) into the ground. Bishop was a convicted felon, Zombie had less personality than 80 year old cement, Reinbold is (and was) a career con man, Osama couldn't figure out stadium construction timelines, you get the idea. An organization ripe with guaranteed internal salaries but NO EFFIN' RESULTS....no Rings in a quarter century of absolute and abysmal futility.

But $150,000 to $450,000 jobs always attract interest. Not for the honour of the heritage but for the lure of the coin.

There are always incompetent football men, wall-crawlers, thumb-suckers and nail-biters willing to take these positions. Thats why the Bombers don't get the Wally Buonos, John Hufnagels, Don Matthews, Ron Lancasters, Marc Trestmans, Jim Barkers, Mikey Benevides, etc. We get the desperate unwashed like Kelly & Reinbold, absolute idiots hell bent on there own personal agenda of mayhem and disorganization.

This trend appears poised to continue.

Maybe Brown can break the trend. Thats what the optimism will be about.