YA THINK? Cohon mulls earlier season start to avoid winter

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by Stamps Rule, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Stamps Rule

Stamps Rule Member

Tags:
  2. Rids

Rids Member

I've thought for years that the schedule should look like:

May - Training Camp/Pre-Season (5 weeks long instead of the current 4)
    June - Season starts
    July - stagger the schedule so everybody plays Game #4 on Canada Day
    September - Labour Day games become huge events down the stretch
    October - Playoffs with Grey Cup at the end

Trouble is that May/June conflict with hockey playoffs and a lack of coverage and then October conflicts with baseball playoffs and hockey starting.

That said the Grey Cup used to be played in December in decent conditions most of the time but it was always held in Toronto (average of 10C for many of those years) so to share the wealth of Grey Cup by moving it around the country we're stuck with these sub-zero games held on the traditional date.

3. Stamps Rule

Stamps Rule Member

In the early 2000's, didn't we used to play the GC in early November? I think that would be much more favorable than our current schedule.

4. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

No, we've never held the Cup that early.

We've been as early as mid-November, and as late as early December, but never outside that range.

TM

deuvl likes this.
  5. StampsSteve

StampsSteve Member

I've been in favour of moving the season ahead since I first started attending games in '85. The pros outweigh the cons for me.

I don't want to sit in a frozen stadium, and I also want our athletes to play our most important games of the season in conditions that aren't mind numbingly cold.

6. oilpatchhilbily

I'm all for an earlier start.....just keep the GC as is - longer season sure wouldn't hurt my feelings (sorry players, that's an occupational hazard of having fans that hate the offseason).

We've already lost any chance of another "mud bowl" because of the turf (I know the advantages of it - not my point), but what's down the road for this league?

All covered stadiums? (I've seen on an earlier post that there is actually a plural for stadium, Flock? Gaggle? Herd? Stadia? Pack? I think it was either Tundra or Rids that know what it is...).

Covered = Say good-bye to any future Rain / Ice / Wind / Fog / Deep Freeze / Snow Bowls as well?

My point is, the weather is as much a part of the CFL right thru to the Grey cup as anything else is....this is the CANADIAN football league, not the NFL or the Arena League!

In my opinion fans can't complain - way more options today than previous fans had - drop a few bucks and get the battery powered socks / gloves / ass cushion / toque / unmentionables, as well as ensure the proper type / amount of antifreeze administered for the current weather conditions (best defence against bad weather is surrounding yourself with good people all suffering thru the same)!

As for the players - it's the same for both sides, and there are always those that excel despite conditions - always the type of people that feel a rush of adrenalin during a storm or better yet, from persevering thru it.

Sorry I'm off topic from "shifting the calendar season back to avoid cold temps", but this all ties in together doesn't it? That and this obviously has bugged me for a while.

One of many examples - late last year, Hamilton at Calgary when, despite an over worked grounds crew, you couldn't even see the yardage lines on the field half the time...these are games unique to the CFL and even the players brought up

from the NFL interviewed before / after such games, never complained, they were always pumped to play in these conditions - as well as brag to their buddies back home (something they would never experience - at least not to this scale).

I've seen it so many times, people dread the weather till game day and then it just doesn't matter anymore.

Maybe it's just me...but I can't stand games played indoors....especially play-off games - feels like we're cheating, and it just doesn't represent how tuff / unique this league really is!

To be fair (and the rest of you can fix the errors, but get the gist of what I'm saying): Sask's new stadium will not have a roof, but it is designed for one in the future, Montreal has kept play-off games to their outside McGill stadium rather than the Olympic Dome,

and there is talk of the Argo's out of the dome next year?? BC - open the damn thing already, don't care about the NHL game the next night.

There is no doubt we are a long way from a league played indoors, BUT, for any that feel as I do, it's important that the next generation of fans understand where this league comes from / what makes it unique / and what will be lost from a single word - ROOF!

Feel free to knock me off this soap box, but swing hard as I feel strongly about it (as always opinions are properly respected and chewed on, prior to spitting out / absorbed). Push aside the "sky is falling" aspect ... would like to know where people stand on this.

Tundra Mustang and Rids like this.
  7. Rids

Rids Member

Good thoughts!

The unique thing is that moving the schedule up you'll probably get even more bad weather to start the year (BC runs training camp in Kamloops because it's too rainy in Burnaby during June) but I guess the concern is more the really cold temps than the snow or rain. I'd like to see the new stadiums with an overhang for the fans more than the full dome.

Keep this in mind - Seattle moved from a dome to a open stadium to take advantage of the rain and use it as a home field advantage!

oilpatchhilbily likes this.
  8. oilpatchhilbily

I can get behind an overhang above the fans for the sake of ticket sales....I like the storey of Seattle, and understand it!
    Guess we'll see how the rest weigh in....

9. ArgoCister

ArgoCister Member

my 2 cents ...... I can see the only dome stadium remaining in the CFL will be in BC. Perhaps rogers will let the CFL use the dome for the Grey Cup, but once they put in grass for the jays.... expected in the next 5 years.... they will only change things for the bills game.Argos will only have access to the dome for the next 5 years max.
    The big O in Montreal ..... who knows what is happening with that. No city or team is going to build one either, as the cost is out of reach and it seems more teams want the outdoor experience.

10. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

Next year's grey cup is on November 30 I believe which would make it the latest I've ever seen since the Als returned in 96

The year after in (most likely) Winnipeg could be nov. 15 if they really want to start early.

11. Rids

Rids Member

To continue this:

Not too bad...

12. Stamps Rule

Stamps Rule Member

I'm all for bumping the season up by 3 weeks and playing an extra game a year. Raise the salary cap to reflect the extra two games.

I'm sure the players would like it because of the extra cash, and I would like it because more games, and we play the GC two week ahead of our normal schedule.

It wouldn't eliminate the chance of never having a game outside, but it sure would reduce it.

13. ArgoCister

ArgoCister Member

-6 by the end of the game ..... Sounds downrite balmy!

14. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

"Balmy" is the correct term all right...

After all, this is Saskatchewan we're discussing here...;)

TM

15. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

I honestly don't know where I stand on this issue anymore, oilpatch.

But I know where I'm leaning.

I'm fully aware of the storied history of this grand old league (but then I should be, having lived through more than half of its history). ;)

The Mud Bowl, the Fog Bowl, the Ice Bowl, the 1970 Western Final played in a Regina blizzard...and all the rest.

I get the aura and the lore that surrounds the climatic endurance test that is sometimes Canadian football.

I've sat in the stands through rainstorms, howling winds and blowing snow.

Over the years, in fact, too many to recall.

And I'm one of the fans who stays at the game to the end.

Sometimes the bitter end.

Last Sunday was one of them.

I took my 17 year old daughter, who is a neophyte CFL fan, to the game.

She might not be persuaded to return.

The cold (for her) was as brutal as was the display of "talent" by the Stampeders on the field of play was for me and for most other long-time fans of the club.

I've sat through cold weather events before, and have found them at least tolerable, but she was shivering from half-time onward (despite hand-and foot-warmers, blankets, and the rest of the usual layered winter paraphernalia).

Truth be told, I was shivering, too, although I was probably more conscious of it than I would have been had my team not chosen Sunday afternoon to lay down its most atrocious play-off performance in decades. ;)

When the game ended, I was sitting in a mostly empty stadium surrounded by pockets of green, my fellow Stampeders fans having largely deserted a long-since sunken ship.

Other than the crowd clad in green (who, despite the conditions, had every reason to stay), the weather certainly was no encouragement to most Stampeders fans to hang on and at least see their team out as it shamefully entered yet another off-season.

Shifting the schedule would help.

But failing that, even enclosing at least the concourse at McMahon (to provide a warmer haven for those who can't-or won't-tolerate the cold for an entire game) might assist.

As it stands, McMahon is essentially no better than a shabby and drafty barn on cold weather days, and if the league doesn't shift the schedule to attempt to avoid play in inclement winter weather, the football club will have to do something with the amenities in the stadium to enhance the game experience of the fans in attendance when the cold weather arrives.

I'm part of the generation of fans who have grown up with the CFL.

I get it.

But even I am less tolerant of cold weather conditions than I used to be, and I am not even part of the demographic most coveted by this league.

However, my daughter is certainly one of them.

And I don't think, as a group of prospective fans, they will be as tolerant as my generation, and those before it, have traditionally been of the inherent "charm" of watching ball in the snow and sometimes howling winds of November.

TM

16. Rids

Rids Member

This is the part that I don't really understand. You'd think that professional sports in Canada would understand that bad weather is something that will show up and yet they build facilities like these. I mean honestly if McMahon had areas set up with protection from the wind/rain and put in extra heaters (like every arena in Alberta has...) in the standing room areas you'd see more people stick around.

17. oilpatchhilbily

Well said Tundra, and with Fan Stats like that, your message carries some weight. You brought up a good point when it comes to fighting the cold - not just the up and coming generation, but the fans that have more than paid their due's as well...

You tend to stay warmer if there are close-by options to pop into and get warm - rather than thinking it'll only get worse until the games over. As for last Sundays game...I would have been cold watching from a hot tub immersed to the mustache.

No words for this one and on top such a great season as well. Don't even want to think about all the salt added to that wound when we loose a bunch of players right around the corner.

On board with your arguments to shift the season forward a couple weeks, so I'll call Cohon after the game today and tell him to go ahead then.

Maybe you should call him...in case he asks what a Neophyte is haha (I'd have to make something up).

Edit: as Argo suggested, we should be down to the Dome in BC soon enough and that one opens (would be nice to see a ruling it must remain open for all CFL games - wishful thinking, but a nice thought). They could look into covering the seating areas and maybe some heaters as Rids suggested - I would like to see heated / cooled reclining seats with the vibrating option....I just wouldn't like the price of a ticket.....

Tundra Mustang likes this.
  18. ArgoCister

ArgoCister Member

We could be smiling .... win or lose!

Tundra Mustang likes this.
  19. Monkey1011

Monkey1011 Member

I am for moving the schedule up 2-3 weeks. However, 2014 (with 2 new stadiums and possible delays & the GC in BC Place) is probably not the season to do this.

With 9 teams there will be 4 games each week (and 1 team on bye) except week 1 which will have 5 games (1 team playing 2 games). That's a 20-week regular season with each team having 2 bye's except the team that plays 2x in week 1 (they have 3 byes).

I don't like sitting in a cold stadium on a Friday night after mid-Sept. And yet Friday night football seems to be scheduled for CGY, EDM, and WPG (plus BC) more often then not in the fall (as we know, SSK is exempt from having to play home games on Friday nights - they just get Sat/Sun day games, especially in the fall).

If the GC is on the 2nd Sunday in November (as the 1st Sunday is the date the clocks are changed and I don't think TV/advertisers/the league wants people confused as to the time of the game), then in 2015 GC would be on its earliest date - November 8 and therefore the 20-week season would start on its earliest date (if the first game is on a Thursday, then this would be June 4th). NHL playoffs end in mid-June, so the CFL regular season would only conflict with the SC Final itself. And I don't think this is a big deal because of the small chance of a SC team being from Canada and the very small chance of both SC teams being from Canada.

And maybe TSN being NHL-less will actually make them in favour of moving the schedule up a few weeks.

20. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

The irony was that it was -20 in Montreal. I was at the right place at the right time.

2015 in Winnipeg will probably be nov.15 or 22 and peg fans will show up be it hail or high snow